Thursday, January 25, 2018

Sending Birthday Wishes

Today I'm focusing on another basic card type that is great to have on hand...the birthday card.  It seems like someone is always having a birthday and it's nice to be able to grab a card whenever you need one.

I knew that a birthday stamp set was going to be one of the first bigger stamp sets I was going to invest in...I figured it would save me money in the long run because birthday cards can be so expensive.  I chose the stamp set Sending You by Avery Elle because I felt it was important to focus on the sentiment and this set fit the bill.  Plus, it included sentiments that can be used for occasions other than just birthdays.  Think thank you notes, Valentines, love and hugs, gift enclosures...so many possibilities.  Plus that little paper airplane...and little hearts perfect for love notes...elements of masculine & feminine...and did I mention ADORABLE!





I started with a pre-folded note card in yellow that had a sweet scalloped border.  I knew that I wanted to stamp the sentiment on white card stock and make it pop with a patterned paper.  I chose a blue and white stripe from the MFT Birthday blowout paper pack and then cut a 3-1/4 x 4-1/2 piece of Neenah solar white cardstock.  I used my stamps to layout th design and then stamped them using Hero Arts black dye ink. I think it turned out to be a well balanced card with a mix of masculine and feminine elements that I could send it to just about anyone.



I love the clean simple look above and would have happily put it in the mail as is, but wanted to add just another fun little pop of color. Soooo... I stamped the airplane again on a scrap of card stock, colored it with a blue marker that was a close match to my stripe paper and cut it out with craft scissors.  I used a 3-D foam square to attach it directly over the original plane in the design...love the movement and it's so cute!  What a quick and easy way to send someone a fun birthday wish🎈


Insider Trick:  I used a black sharpie to go around the sides of the little airplane after I cut it to cover the white edge.  Also, I measured and marked the centers of the top and right side of both the white card stock and the striped paper lightly with a pencil to help me line up the placement and then just erased them when I was done...because once you adhere it there's no going back😉

No comments:

Post a Comment