Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Just A Little Note to Make You Happy

Note cards are the perfect way to start...you can use them anytime. Which is also the reason I chose a flower stamp as one of my first purchases.  I knew I wanted to start small (and you can't get much smaller than this set) plus I thought I could use it for many occasions from everyday to celebrations. I think it's important to have versatility when you are just starting out.

Begin with a piece of white card stock big enough for your stamped image and sentiment.  Stamp a single flower from the Altenew You Make Me Happy stamp set using Hero Arts Black Ink and color it with markers or colored pencils.  I have a set of Stamping up twin tip markers that I purchased years ago and rarely used, and have since started to collect Copic Sketch markers...so this is a mix of both. I added a sentiment from the same set.


Next you need a simple pre-folded 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 note card (which we will later refer to as an A2 card...see now we're learning the crafting lingo!)  to which you can add patterned papers that worked with your ink colors.  I layered a print paper under the image I had stamped and trimmed on Neenah white card stock...then added a few jewels to the petals and my card was complete. 

I liked it so much that I did a few more in different colors using different embellishments like sequins. I also played with the size of the borders and flags to get a more symmetrical layout.





     Some basic supplies you'll need for this project:
  • a pre-folded note card and a piece of card stock to stamp your image
  • a paper trimmer (absolutely worth the investment!) You will use it to cut out layering pieces and note cards you can fold yourself
  • a good black ink pad...Hero Arts Dye Ink is what I chose
  • a clear acrylic block for your stamp...I like something with lines to help with placement
  • a coloring medium such as markers, pencils or paint...although a black and white version could be cool too!
  • printed papers, embellishments, and an adhesive (I chose a double sided adhesive from E-Z Runner)

Don't feel like you have to invest in a ton of supplies at once.  Search around to see what you already have.  Who knows, you may find supplies you stored away and forgot about...like I did! Also, consider asking crafty friends if they'd be willing to include you in a simple project so you can see if you enjoy it. Crafters love to share their passion and most have enough supplies they may even gift you some they no longer need or use...(I have a friend who did this for me...thanks Carly tee!)  Find a workshop to attend and create there...there will be plenty of time to purchase additional items as you progress!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun set of note cards you made. Great job coloring the flowers! So happy that you finally found the joy in crafting after all those years of being surrounded by the supplies😉

    ReplyDelete