Sunday, March 25, 2018

Seeing Black and White and Red all over!

Today I'm continuing the Black and White trend, but with a twist...RED!!!  As you know from my last post I'm crazy for black and white, but add in another strong color and its the bomb 💣.  My favorites are bright colors...especially turquoise, fuchsia, or yellow...the contrast is spectacular!

The first card mixes a technique I've been wanting to try for a while....creating a background with washi tape and a strong color palette.  I love washi tape almost as much as I love patterned paper (they come in so many color and print combinations). I just can't resist them and my collection of both continues to grow.  Is that a problem? if so...I'm thinkin it's a good problem😊.  Am I right?

So...I created my background using different widths of black and white and red and white washi tape on a red note card.  I used a criss-cross pattern and randomly added layers until I was satisfied with the overall look.  I also cut out some shapes from patterned papers and a few little critters that I previously colored with Copic markers. They were wearing red accessories...so of course they needed to jump on these cards!


For the Washi background, I decided on a red and white polka dotted hexagon using the Pretty Pink Posh Stitched Hexagons Die set.  Then I cut a circle out of it with the MFT Inside and Out Circle Stax.  I used the same die to cut out a black and white polka dot circle which I inset into the hexagon.

Finally, I added Birch the bunny from Purple Onion Designs with foam tape for dimension and a cute sentiment from the Koalifications stamp set from Neat and Tangled.  The finished product (although a little busy 😎) makes me smile.

I was having so much fun with this color scheme, I decide to make a second card using Blizzard the husky from Purple Onion designs.  Since the first card was a little busy🙈 I went for a more simplistic approach this time.

I began with the same red note card and added a stitched rectangle from MFT cut from black cardstock with a really subtle print on it.  I topped that with a red and white polka dot square with a pinked edged...and finally Blizzard!  Then I heat embossed a fun sentiment from the Essentials by Ellen set All Inside by Julie Ebersole and my second card was complete!


I encourage you to use a color palette as your inspiration and see where it takes you.  You might be surprised and delighted by your final destination...I know I was.  HUGS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment